The covid-19 pandemic has brought a number of life-style changes to our daily lives. While for most of us, we are keeping ourselves locked down in our house, there are some who are still dedicating their service to the nation. But, many of us are working from homes by making our drawing rooms into boardrooms for office meetings. So, whether we are stepping out of our house or working through video calls, it’s still important to look presentable and keep ourselves well groomed.
During lock-down, for the time being, visiting a salon really seems to be a distant dream. But your hair doesn’t have to suffer just because of that. Whether it’s highlighted, coloured all over or heat-treated, you can still keep your locks healthy and well-nourished without stepping out of your house by using some simple do-it-yourself (DIY) hacks and tips.
Giving yourself a blow dry or pampering your hair with a weekly mask are all little things that can make you feel, and look good in this difficult time. Below are a few simple tips that you can easily follow and practice to keep your hair gorgeous and healthy:
Image source: glambeautystyle
- Warm Oil Massage:
The first tip to have beautiful and well-nourished hair, is something that is always advised by our grand-moms and mothers. A warm oil massage with coconut oil or til (sesame) oil or amla oil is all we need to keep our mane healthy. There are ample of benefits of hair oiling:
- When we massage our scalp with our fingertips, blood circulation in the hair follicles improve and thus facilitates proper hair growth.
- Moreover, blood circulation in our scalp makes us relaxed and reduces our stress to some extent.
- If we mix some warm castor oil with any oil, it moisturizes our scalp and hair quite well and the results are visible just after one wash.
You will get a lot of benefits if you make this simple habit a way of your life. Your hair will turn stronger, softer and healthier.
- Onion Hair Mask:
Even during this lockdown, one thing that we generally have in our kitchen is onion. So, if you have this versatile vegetable, then just grab an onion and grind it to a smooth paste. Now, you can apply onion mask to your hair scalp and keep it for 20-30 mins just before washing your hair. After washing, you can use a conditioner so that the smell of onion doesn’t remain. This simple onion hair-mask has got ample of benefits:
- Onion has got rich anti-bacterial properties, it helps to keep the scalp healthy and free of any infection, thus promoting unhindered hair growth.
- It helps controlling dandruff and hair fall.
- The sulphur from onion helps in collagen production. Collagen in turn helps the production of healthy skin cells and hair growth.
Image source: womenpla.net
- Banana Hair Mask:
If you suffer from dry and damaged hair, it’s time to go bananas. Bananas are known for their moisturising properties and can provide ample hydration to the hair. Apart from that, bananas are rich in potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, magnesium and protein which can nourish the hair, restoring it back to health. Just mash a ripe banana and apply it to your scalp and hair and wear a shower cap to prevent falling off. This hair pack will be a blessing to the heat-treated or coloured hair. So, let’s see what are the benefits of this simple hair pack:
- Banana and olive oil hair pack-
Mash one ripe banana using a fork and add 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Apply all over the hair using a brush. Cover with a shower cap and wash with shampoo after 20 minutes. You can also use coconut oil or argan oil for a nourishing experience. This is a repairing mask for damaged hair and also help control frizz·
- Banana, papaya and honey-
It is a protein rich pack. If you get these items during lock down, then you can pamper your hair by making a simple pack using these ingredients. It gives shine and strength to hair. Take 1 ripe banana and mash coarsely. Add to it 4-5 cubes of ripe papaya and mash into a pulp. Now put 2 teaspoon of honey and mix it all well together to form a smoothie. Apply all over the hair and scalp. As honey has moisturizing and anti-bacterial properties, this pack also keeps our scalp fresh and healthy.
Image Source: Alluringsoul.com
- Egg Hair Pack:
Our hair needs protein for its proper growth and we know that egg is a protein packed meal. It’s loaded with lots of vitamins and essential amino acids. So, not only eating eggs will do wonders to our body, even applying it on hair is very beneficial to keep our hair strong and healthy.
Your scalp is the skin on your head, and the base for your hair follicles, so how you nourish it and how healthy it is, has a direct impact on your hair follicle health.
- If you massage your scalp and hair with egg yolks, it can boost hair growth to a great extent.
- Egg whites can be added only if your hair is too oily or if you have an oily scalp.
- Use eggs in different ways; consume it in your diet or apply it on your hair and scalp.
- An egg mask is the natural remedy in controlling frizzy hair, caused by moisture or excessive pollution in the atmosphere. As you are keeping indoors, you may even not get your favourite conditioner to apply on your hair, so egg mask is the ultimate solution you have.
Image source: femina.in
So above are some very simple tips and DIY hacks that can be done even during this lock down with limited resources to maintain your mane and keep it healthy. To keep your hair healthy, it is very important to follow a balanced diet. The nutrition that we get from our diet ultimately reflects in our overall well-being. Moreover, physical activity is also essential to keep proper blood circulation in our body. So while doing the daily chores, you can simply make these easy hair packs or just give a deep oil massage with any available oil and pamper your hair. Brush your hair gently and regularly to keep them smooth and to enhance blood circulation of follicles. So, we may be locked down without any access to salons, but the recipe to beautiful and healthy hair lies in our own kitchen and inside the four boundaries of our homes. Thus, letting the lock down helps you in detoxifying all the negativeness and brings you closer to nature.